I have several friends and family members that want to make their own kombucha. I made this quick list to help me and them remember the steps. I also have them read the previous posts to this blog, giving them much more background than this list.
1. Boil 1 gallon of water for tea; boil for 20 minutes to rid of chlorine
2. Let black tea brew 5-10 minutes, adding 1 cup sugar.
3. Cover and let tea cool overnight.
4. Pour tea into 1 gallon glass jar. Add 1 cup of tea from SCOBY hotel and the SCOBY. Wash your hands with vinegar before touching the SCOBY.
5. Allow to ferment for 5-10 days, depending on temp. Best between 75 and 85 degrees.
6. When first ferment is tangy and sweet to taste, you are ready for second ferment.
7. Put SCOBY in hotel with 1-2 cups of the fermented sweet tea. Wash your hands with vinegar before touching the SCOBY.
8. Put remaining fermented sweet tea in jars – 16 ounce or half gallon. In jars, add fruit, ginger, fruit juice, etc. as desired. Do NOT use cranberries.
9. Second ferment will ferment for 3-5 days, depending on temp. Best between 75 and 85 degrees.
10. Put into bottles and put bottles in fridge.